15 June, 2007

The Many Problems With Too Much Time

Another Sonata Arctica related entry today.

I'm a very sad strange little boy, and I feel like sharing a story about this.

My iPod gets constant use, on the bus, during breaks, wandering around, basically any time I'm not at home and not working, my iPod is on and 90% of the time, it's just playing through the Sonata Arctica discography. The reason I mention this? One particular song (White Pearl, Black Ocean from the album Reckoning Night, which is many levels of awesomeness I might add) always reminded me of Pocahontas (also awesome, but mainly because of this section which could never be put into a movie these days, well also because it's a good movie, but I love that song).

Until recently, I couldn't work out why an epic song made me think Disney. . . until I pressed a friend of mine who has similar interests and amounts of free time, told her the exact line which made me think Disney ("Everybody killed me with their eyes." approx 3:30 into the song) and then she trawled through the Pocahontas soundtrack and discovered that (after singing the lines to herself a few times to see how the SA line sounded with a female voice) the whole reason for this mental link was because the line "or ask the grinning bobcat why he grins" (from Colors of the Wind, conveniently linked above) was sung the same way.

There's probably a few other points in the song that are sung similarly too, I haven't actually listened to Colors of the Wind for a while, despite watching Pocahontas every once in a while and tracking down the song on YouTube for anyone foolish enough to read this blockage of intraweb tubes.

All that really matters here is that through wasting my time, someone else's time and listening to various forms of awesome music, I proved that I wasn't completely insane. . . that or that I some sort of ear for details in music. . . or that I have enough time to find this kind of thing out.

Okay, not too sure what was proven, but something must have been.

FRANTIC LAST SECOND EDIT!
Lilly (my friend who did the "research" on this piece, finding the line in Pocahontas that matched up etc) was wrong . . . having just actually bothered to listen to the song, the line "ask the grinning bobcat why he grins" does not match the SA line. Although there are numerous points in the song where she sings a note progression (is that the right term) identical to the one in White Pearl.

I'm not insane, but I think I've finally found what point has been proven. . . that I really need to check this stuff myself before going and announcing to the world that there has been a great discovery.

1 comment:

jayjayne said...

Check your sources ;P

And it's a "chord progression", perhaps? I don't know, I'm not exactly musical. So I played violin for 5 years. That dosen't count.