21 January, 2008

Simpsons Already Did It

So I was watching the Simpsons the other day and I came to a sad realisation. If you pick and mix a few key plot points from the various Simpsons episodes to have aired in the last god knows how many years. . . you get the story I was putting together.

I don't know if this is a bad thing, that I'm really stretching for excuses not to continue on with my little project or it just means that because the Simpsons has been on the air for so damn long you could string together various plot elements from the 410 or so episodes thus far and you've covered every story ever told.

Considering their penchant for parodying pop culture, it definitely means a lot of stories are covered, throw in the fact that occasionally they actually think of a good original plot and the fact that most stories can be boiled down to base elements which could be seen anywhere. . . it's probably safe to assume that stringing together plot elements seen in the Simpsons is pretty much akin to stringing together any random plot elements that come to mind is about the same.

Originality is dead, I blame Matt Groening.

No comments: