04 December, 2007

CIGARO CIGARO

I have a weird compulsion.

When it comes to video games I have some weird combination of ADD and OCD (without actually being like ADD or OCD, but it's fun to misapply labels). Games will either hold my attention to the point where I am actively completing every minor task possible or they don't and I toss them aside in seconds.

My approach towards gaming is just plain weird, I'll find a game, get completely and utterly hooked up to a point where it's almost an obsession. Then for no good reason I'll toss it aside and probably never touch it again. I can't explain it, it really doesn't make sense, but it does seem to apply that I have both a terribly short attention span and an addictive personality.

Of course, most common addictions don't seem to hold with me, I've tried two of the most common addictions out there (WoW and smoking) kinda enjoyed it and then moved on with my life vowing never to bother with that crap again. Yet you give me something like Pokemon or Trauma Center and they'll hold my attention until I've completely raped them of any further content.

This has some weird repercussions when it comes to choosing games to play, because of my need to compulsively do everything (until I'm bored) in a video game means that I prefer the games that have more little pointless tasks to complete. By default, this means Xbox 360 games thanks to the Achievements they offer. I've actively gone through a game solely with the intent of collecting achievements, admittedly enjoying the gameplay but my focus was not the plot or the "fun" but getting my grubby little gamerscore ever so slightly higher.

Which finally brings me back to the point that will hopefully explain the title.

Everything is a fucking dick measuring contest, as a society we are always actively seeking to prove that our metaphorical penises are larger than every other person out there. Oh you can say the spirit of competition is the boon of mankind, the spirit of invention and the driving force behind society, but that's a load of bullhonkey, those are all just excuses to justify people going out there and trying to prove that they are the big man because some number they have accumulated is larger then someone else's. Cars, phones, clothes, pretty much everything cosmetic, video games, sports, science, even charity and humanitarian work, everything is done in the pursuit of proving your own greatness.

Don't think females are exempt from this dick measuring contest thing either, just because it provides a disturbing image to most to think of it that way (and an even more disturbingly erotic image to a select few others), the term is mainly used to point out the ridiculousness of the practice. It's definitely not because I have some phallic fixation.

So, my solution to stopping all the pointless competition?

Free random sex for everyone.

If you can get laid any time, you wouldn't bother trying to exceed in life, you've already got everything you really want, which means that people can be left to focus on what they need.

That or spend the rest of their lives in a giant orgy.

Either way, it's all good.

No comments: